Yellow bike with flowers

Yellow bike with flowers

Thank You (and Goodbye) From the Managing Editor

Dear Faculty, 

After five years, it has finally happened: I have finished my PhD in Education. For most of that time, I have been telling friends, family, and colleagues that I would make them call me Dr. Rockey for at least a month. I didn’t really think anyone was listening, but now I have been called Dr. Rockey more times than I count!

For four of my five years in grad school, I have worked as an instructional design graduate student with Academic Technology Services. In this role, I have had the opportunity to design online courses, coordinate professional development, develop resources for faculty, and act as managing editor of The Wheel. 

As the managing editor, I have grown both as a writer and as a mentor for students, our talented communication interns who are professional and insightful and who have brought such wonderful perspectives to The Wheel. 

I am so thankful for the experience that I have gained at Academic Technology Services and the amazing mentorship of Dr. Andy Jones, Dr. Margaret Merrill, and Mark Wilson. 

I am excited for my next adventure: this summer I will be working as an instructional design consultant for the teacher education department at CSU-Bakersfield. Then in the fall, I will be supervising and teaching credential candidates. As I support faculty this summer, I will be posting resources I create on my website alexrockey.com. Feel free to check it out. So far, you will find there guides on planning feedback and designing discussions in online courses, but I expect those resources to grow in the coming months and years. 

Thank you for your commitment to excellent teaching at UC Davis, and for taking the time to read The Wheel

Best, 

Dr. Alex Rockey 

Primary Category