Dear UC Davis Faculty Colleagues,
Because of the dramatically increased interest in UC Davis Canvas, the Learning Management System to be rolled out officially this coming fall quarter, 2016, we in Academic Technology Services are offering a series of Canvas workshops on Thursday, June 16th from 9-12. We will meet in the Student Community Center Computer Lab, 2102 SCC.
The timing of the workshops is meant to be especially helpful to faculty wishing to teach with Canvas during Summer Session I. If you would care to join us, please register your intent by filling out this registration form. We will need to know who is participating by the afternoon of Wednesday, June 15th so that we can create Canvas course sites for all the participants.
Please find the agenda, below:
June 16 Canvas Workshops Agenda
June 16, 2016 9 a.m. – Noon : Student Community Center Computer Lab / 2102/2013 SCC
Welcome and Introductions, Dr. Andy Jones, 9 – 9:20 a.m.
How we got here and where we are going, Steve Faith and Faculty Support Members, 9:20 – 9:50 a.m.
- The selection of UC Davis Canvas as our new LMS
- Recent events with SmartSite
- What moving to Canvas means
- The good, the bad, and the ugly
- Outcomes for today, and participants’ personal goals
- Canvas from a student perspective (Joey Van Buskirk)
- Questions and concerns
Break 9:50 – 10 a.m.
Part 1 – Canvas Fundamentals, Steve Faith, 10 – 10:45 a.m.
This Canvas training will focus on the following features and use of Canvas:
- Interface and navigation
- Establishing your user profile and Canvas notification settings
- Using the Canvas calendar and syllabus
- Getting organized with modules
- Course settings
Break 10:45 – 10:55 a.m.
Part 2 – Canvas Fundamentals, Steve Faith and Andy Jones, 10:55 – 11:40 a.m.
This Canvas training builds on features and concepts covered in part 1, and will focus on the following features and use of Canvas:
- Establishing scope and sequence using Modules
- Building content using the rich content editor
- Going deeper into pages, assignments, discussions and quizzes
- The Canvas Gradebook and SpeedGrader
Break 11:40 – 11:50 a.m.
Canvas Instructional Design Consultation, Mark Wilson and Faculty Support Members – (Time Permitting)
This session teaches how to set up a course within Canvas. We take a rapid course development approach, and show participants how to create an outline for their course. This outline serves as a solid foundation for completing a course.
Check in and final remarks, 11:50 a.m. – Noon
To register for this free workshop, click here.